Friday, February 5, 2010

The Tale of The Tail: Online Marketing Inaction!

A few years ago I wrote a kids' book for a class, but I never illustrated it. I said I would after I was out of school. I graduated, got a job, didn't finish the book. I became unemployed and still didn't finish the book. What's my point, and how does it tie in with Online Marketing? Glad you asked.

In my marketing class we were assigned to market a book that has yet to be published. My fellow classmates all planned on marketing books that either they or a friend had already written. This inspired me to tackle my own book. Not only will I finish illustrating The Tale of The Tale, I plan on completely making it. The Independent Publishing Resource Center just got a Bindfast 5 machine that perfectly binds 20-30 books an hour. I'm taking the class in mid-Feb. Reading Frenzy (an independent bookstore) takes commissions from works created in the IPRC and so my plan is to create the book, get Reading Frenzy to sell it.

As part of my grad project, I'm creating a blog that will document each step of this process. I'm going to create a link on my facebook to the blog, and contact magazines such as Ready Made through their websites. I'll send them both a description and link to my blog. Ready Made has their own blog, or I should say blogs in different areas with topics ranging from cooking, environment, fashion and style and art. If I could get one of the writers to blog about my project and blog that'd be pretty epic. Other magazines with blogs include Juxtapoz. While my work isn't necessarily edgy enough for that magazine, Theo Ellsworth, a Portland illustrator, was featured in the last copy. I want to get my book into Theo's gallery The Pony Club. Not sure how this all relates, but connections, people, connections.. After the book has been created and bound, I will post a link to my etsy account by which people can purchase the book.

Basically, I plan on taking the information I have learned in Online Marketing to promote a book that I will essentially be self-publishing. As I have no source of income, I plan on optimizing social-networks to their full potential. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions/criticisms on this plan please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment