Sunday, January 31, 2010

E-book

So I’ve spent a lot of time being indifferent to e-books. I really have zero interest in reading a book online, but I can see its appeal to other readers. Considering my stance on the subject I decided it was probably time for me to take a look at the e-book industry--an industry I really know nothing about.

For my research, I turned to google. One of the first links to appear was cengagebrain.com. I kid you not, Cengage brain changed my outlook on e-books. There is indeed a type of book that I never considered would be better as an e-book--the textbook. Cengage offers consumers e-textbooks at 50% below list price and the first e-chapter of every book is free. Purchasing books by individual chapters is another option. During my undergraduate studies I purchased a multitude of books, many that didn’t apply to my major and many that I had no interest in keeping. Reading an entire textbook for a class, was indeed rare and most likely didn’t occur. E-book textbooks are genius because a student is able to gain access to a book they don’t plan on keeping for a price that can’t be beat even with buybacks. Cengage offers book rentals as well. Customers are allowed to rent textbooks for the duration of one term.

Cengage makes me think about Netflix, or the Netflix for books. If there was a plan by which one could “check out” so many new e-books a month for a fee, I would so be on board here. Help me out fellow internet marketing gurus, does such a thing exist? If not, let’s create a site. E-Books would work much better than actual books in this situation because of book damage and shipping. If actual books were shipped than how much damage an individual caused to an actual book would be in question, as well as delivery schedules. If I was provided with an option of reading as many books as I liked online I would totally be an e-book reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment